Sunday, September 12, 2010

It's National Fall Hat Month!


It's September again, this year is flying by quickly!  Last year I happened to find out that the fourth week of September is National Hat Week.  People are encouraged to wear felt and clothe hats.  I did say in my last blog I'd post some pictures of hats.  

A very brief history on hats: Hats are worn for protection, as a status symbol, as part of a uniform, and also as an art form.  It's not known when the first hat was made.  Before the 17th century, women's hats were based on men's designs.   With the beginning of the 17th century came a demand for miliners (which means maker of women's hats), most likely to fill the need for hats portraying a woman's status in society.  In the 1960's with the big hairstyles and wigs being all the rage, hats became unpopular.  I remember when Princess Diana was introduced to the world, in 1980, and hats became part of her ensemble; many women started wearing hats again.  Today, the slouch hat, skull cap and baseball cap seem to be most popular.

There are two styles of hats which are brim and brimless.  There are two forms of hats which are the cap and the hat.  Here's a look at some wonderful hat and cap designs:

By Anne Rizzo - Italy
www.sanuelshats.com
By Kathy Jeanne - www.sanuelshatshats.com
                     
by Seeburger - www.samuelshats.com
 by Nigel Rayment -  www.samuelshats.com
                                                                       

www.artfire.com 

www.fashionbean.com
                                                                   
Here are a look at my son's hat designs, improved.  I made the pattern pieces smaller so the hats hug the head alot better. 

                                       
                                                    by SK Clothes


He changed the look by wearing the hat sideways, or so I thought.  He says the design is to be to one side of the head.  That's original.

Well, I hope that some of you who don't normally wear hats will.  I'm going to make myself a slouch hat in clothe and see what happens.  I'll try to get it done to wear for the fourth week of September.  Till next blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment