Saturday, March 12, 2011

Simple Designs with a Twist

It's March break and almost spring.  Is it me, or did this winter go by much faster than last year?  I honestly can't believe my teens have completed half of the school year already! 

It's apparent that people, overall, prefer clothes with clean lines, clothes with no fuss (example, the t-shirt, the denim jean, the slim skirt).  I may not understand why some people don't want to experiment with different silhouettes, but I guess it makes life a lot more simple; streamlined clothes are easier to mix and match (especially solid colored clothes), and many people have other things to think about besides clothes.

This past week I focused on simplicity.  I like to make unusual and unique clothes, but I'm trying to reign myself in, for a few months anyway.  I'm finally sewing for myself as well.  I don't usually sew for me, I prefer to serve others, but this year I decided to remember myself as well.  Here are a couple of samples of tops and a hat. 

 

                             by SK Clothes   www.wix.com/skclothes/SK

The printed top was a much wider and long sleeved top.  I took off 6 inches from the sides in total and cut the sleeves, but before this was done, I placed a print design made by my son on it.  He said it looked like an antique print.  I think he liked the result, but he'd like it on regular t-shirts.  I like the sleeveless top.  My twist on it, of course, was trimming the armhole and neckline with a brown and tan print polyester fabric.  I decided to make the belt last minute to add interest.  I love my ruffle hat design as well, and I will be wearing this alot. I serged the flower applique with brown thread.  There's a black and brown theme going on with all 3 designs, isn't there?  This happened naturally...


Till next blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment